Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mark's Insightful Question

Our 7-year old asked the other day, "If God already knows what we are going to ask, why do we need to pray"? An excellent question! It took me a bit to answer. However, God wants us to talk to him for the sake of discussion. Just because I come home with a smile from work, my wife may still want to know if I had a good day at work. God wants intimacy with us, and prayer is the best way to gain that. Besides, Jesus said in the book of Matthew, "You don't receive because you don't ask." Even if (because) He knows, He still wants us to humble ourselves and actually ask. It's like when we intend to give our kid a treat, but we still want them to say, "Please give us this treat." We still like them to ask and say, "please," and "thank you."

3 comments:

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

I just looked at JR and thought to myself, WHAT?!?!?! Did that just come from my 7yo mouth?!?!?!?! WOW!

Bob said...

That's quite a boy you've got there.