Thursday, May 7, 2009

Can I get a ......... style/position license?

Folks,
We know that our state's legislature (er... supreme court) has decided that we need to issue gay marriage licenses. Don't the people realize the gay people are not treated unfairly under our laws. They have the same rights to marry that I do. I can marry my wife Angie, and they can marry any Angie that agrees to marry them. Apparently the justices do not eat Wheaties and they have a foggy mind sometimes. Anyway, somehow people believe that this ruling automatically means we should issue marriage licenses to people of the same gender. No, this ruling does not do that. It simply tells the legislature that they should pass a law allowing for same-gender marriages. Simply by ruling unconstitutional a law does not create marriage for a new class. If that is the case, and the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is thrown out, it would mean anarchy in terms of marriage. There are no laws on the topic in this philosophy, so anyone can marry. So can I have special rights in marriage because I love my dog, my children, or a certain sexual position? Special tax bracket? Don't you see the absurdity? How about if I am a pedophile or necrophiliac? (hope you didn't just finish eating)

Point is this: we need to have laws to determine what marriage is, not merely allowing anything by striking down the law that determined what marriage is. Too bad our legislature was too "busy" to deal with this legislative problem. God sees what is going on.

No comments: